I spent last week organizing the sewing room. It had become out of control with half started projects, piles of pictures waiting to be scrapped, and a bunch of items in need of mending. I was at the point of not wanting to go in there and it definitely was not fueling any type of creativity. Essentially, my mojo was buried. This need to get things cleaned up coincided with the addition of a long arm machine. I knew it was going to be delivered and I had nowhere to put it. Panic ensued! I’ll be blogging about the long arm and the process of researching it and purchasing it in an upcoming post. I’m super excited about it and I can’t wait to share all that with you! So, Greg and I ended up going around the house with a tape measure trying to figure out where the machine would fit best. In the end, our bedroom had the only wall long enough to accommodate an 8ft frame without dismantling furniture and shelving. It was tempting to put off the sewing room cleaning once I knew the long arm wasn’t going in there but the mess needed to be tamed.
I started with the counter and put away the scrapbooking project that I was working on because it’s on hold until I have a little more time. I also cleaned out under the counter which had unused scrapbooking tools and about 45 bags with half started hand projects. I took all the hand projects and put them in a tote that slides under my bed.
I also pulled all the small dollar store bins that are holding my fabric scraps from the built in book shelves and moved them to under the counter. With all the bags gone, they fit just fine.
Next, I took down the design wall that was covering these two hutches and gave them a good cleaning out. I packed up anything related to polymer clay which was taking up one hutch and packed that up for the attic. I cleared out unused art supplies and tidied all the sewing related items. There’s still alot on these shelves including my serger and embroidery machine but at least it’s neat and I know what is there.
The next area to tackle was the built in book shelves. These were originally built to house my scrapbook albums, totes, and papers. Pretty much that is still true. I didn’t do much here other than get rid of some polymer clay items and tidy up.
Next to the hutches are this file cabinet and my thread rack. I had the file cabinet loaded with boxes of inventory for my online shop and Quilt Cabana patterns. I couldn’t reach the thread anymore it was so high. I took the boxes, condensed where I could, and placed then under the counter with the fabric scraps.
The last area to tackle was the cutting board and surrounding area. What a mess this had become. I cleaned out under the table and put away all excess fabric and projects that were piled up.
The room isn’t perfect but I have a lot of stuff and I can’t really store it elsewhere. At least now I can go in there and work happily. And…I didn’t have to lose the counter or hutches to fit this baby!
The long arm is a HandiQuilter Simply 16 on an 8ft Studio Frame that can be set up as a 10ft if needed. The next step on my quilting journey will be to learn this machine and then use it to quilt for myself and others. It’s the next step for Quilt Cabana Patterns and I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to learn long arming. I’ll be blogging more on this very soon!