So, I had a finish this week! I got the quilt completely done for the music school raffle at the end of June!
Now that this one is wrapped up I am going to work a little bit on the Lindsey Project art quilt and my niece’s t-shirt quilt all at the same time. After a crazy weekend of dance recitals followed by town meetings, bat removal from the house (more on that in the next podcast), physical therapy and getting passport applications processed, I was ready for some quilting fun today! So I started the Lindsey Project by taking the tracing I did of a photo and scanning it into the computer. I darkened the photo a bit in Photoshop so that the lines could be seen more clearly.
Next I used Adobe Reader to print a poster that was 275% larger than my scan. At first I went with 200% and that wasn’t big enough as you can see. I felt like Lindsey’s face was a bit too small in the one on the left.
I taped the printed pieces of paper together and laid the whole piece on the ironing board. I secured it with tape and then put a piece of muslin over that and also secured that with tape. I was able to see the lines of the picture well enough to trace over with a black marker. If I couldn’t have seen it, I would have taped it to a window (or you could use a light box). I used pencil for the facial features because I wasn’t ready to commit to that with marker yet.
Next, I took the traced muslin piece over to the design wall and pulled out my fabric scrap bins. I recently organized my scraps into ROYGBIV order. We won’t discuss how many scraps I threw out that I now wish I kept. Insert sad face.
I grabbed some Aileen’s Tacky Glue as suggested by Susan Carlson and in the fashion of her technique, I started lightly gluing small pieces of fabric scraps onto the muslin, staying within the lines. I got as far as completing Lindsey’s bathing suit and I love how it’s coming out so far. I definitely had a few moments of thinking this might not work out but once you step away from the design wall and put your glasses on!!!- it doesn’t look half bad.
This has to be one of the most fun ways to assemble a quilt! I am looking forward to working on another section tomorrow…ok, maybe tonight!
I was pleased to see that my Happy Cupcakes table runner and patterns made it to Quilt Market with the lovely folks over at QuiltWoman! It is on the bottom left of the photo, hanging on the table.
One day I’ll get to Market myself but for now, I’m just happy to be represented!